So over the weekend my brother created a storm in the kitchen, and apparently made some meringue. Obviously, he was left with egg yolks. I couldn’t bear throwing them out so I knew I had to whip something up. Since I promised the models I’ll be working with that I’ll compensate their time with my baked goods, I quickly searched a recipe that I could use. I found a victorian sponge recipe on Nigella’s website, some jam and leftover cream cheese frosting – voila! I knew I had to get a shot because the cupcake liners were too cute.
Before frosting the cupcakes…
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoon hot water
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 self-raising flour
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
strawberry jam (or anything you like)
- Preheat oven to 180 deg centigrade.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the egg yolks and hot water till creamy. Gradually add the sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Alternate between adding the flour and milk until well combined.
- Pour into individual cupcake liners and bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for half an hour before coring them.
- Add a teaspoon of jam into each cupcake before frosting them.
Cream cheese frosting
1 packet Philly cream cheese
3 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla frosting
- Beat everything together in an electric mixer until well combined.
- Do not over mix, but do make sure there are no lumps.
- Using a piping tip of your choice, frost cupcakes, and serve!